Thursday, September 9, 2010

Funny Prayers

We were at the shops the other day and Madson happened to spy a book that they read at kindy - 'Aliens Love Underpants'. Because the kids have destroyed almost all the books we currently own and I'm wanting to build up a 'new' library of books that don't have pages missing, I bought each of the kids a book and headed home with the re-committment to read to them every night. We can tick that box because we have (so far) and its been great and the kids really really enjoy it. Anyway, Madson's pick was obviously this new book 'Aliens Love Underpants' - and he apparently enjoys this book so much that he had to pray about it last night...

Madson's prayer...."Dear Heavenly Father.....please bless mummy and Westie and McKinley that they won't get scared when the aliens come to get their underpants and that they won't scream, and please bless the aliens to come and get my underpants and that I won't be scared either..." and it carried on for a little while in similar style...

So I wasn't sure if I should be stopping this kind of prayer as silly and not serious, and if it happens again will probably have a little chat with him about some other things we could include in our prayers, but at the same time I truly thought it was so cute and funny and I am just so glad that all of our children are anxious to say their prayers and are comfortable to expand them to include some of the things they are thinking about. Its normally chaos at our house come prayer time because all 3 kids want to say the prayer - even if we say everyone can say a prayer then there's fights over who gets to say it first. I've seen some friends who have actual prayer charts and am starting to think this might be a good idea for us too? It truly makes my heart sing to know that our children are so anxious to talk to their Father in Heaven. I know they don't fully comprehend what saying a prayer really means but it feels so wonderful to have them so happy to pray and it really does warm my heart. They're truly learning and growing and expanding their minds and at this age their little spirits are just so receptive. I really hope that our kids will always be as anxious to say their prayers - that they will come to feel the true peace that comes from talking with their Father in Heaven...I love the spirit that I feel when I truly communicate through prayer and am so grateful for the incredible blessing prayer is - it is such a power and a comfort and we have been so blessed by it. I love teaching our children the gospel and can only hope they will catch on to everything so eagerly...

PS: "Aliens Love Underpants" is one we really recommend - lots of giggles for the kids in this one...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting us share with you, xxx