Sunday, January 30, 2011

Australia Day

We celebrated Australia Day this week in the traditional way - with a Pancake Breakfast!!!!! So much fun getting together with members of our ward and having a chat and being out in the heat - and those pancakes WERE delicious - even with the wafting smells of bbq from the next group over! :) The only bad part - the major tantrum thrown by Mr Madson when it was time to leave!!!

Aunty Lisa had these awesome Australia tatoo's (only on Australia Day!!!!) that she shared around so the kids all got one and I braved one on my cheek (though I did have serious misgivings about it coming off - I couldn't do school pick up the next day looking like that - what would everyone think!!!!! :))





I can't remember if everyone else had a nap but I definitley did, and then we had a little time for some back yard cricket! It was actually really fun! Madson's pretty good at hitting that ball, and West gives it everything he's got. It was so nice to be able to play with the boys without the constant fighting - though we did start the game with this face....can't remember why, but Madson's pulling out some great one's and even better screaming now that he's a 'big school boy'!!! (I actually think he's exhausted and a little overwhelmed with big boy school at the same time as absolutley loving it - his behaviour is a little 'fun' these days...)


 We quickly got over this face to have lots of fun batting and catching and running after the ball lots. I was definitely feeling a little lethargic so I was bowling from the comfort of the outdoor bench! :) Such an energetic mother am I!!! :)

Little Miss McKinley has started pulling the FUNNIEST faces - how's this for one! Hilarious! She was quite happy running around the yard playing her own little game and coming over for a bit of comic relief every now and then! So funny...

And now for a few action shots...







This is a better face right? Those cheeks are just CRYING out to be pinched!!! :) xxx



I loved that we could play a game without the squabbling over who's turn it was - the boys were awesome and we had a really enjoyable time!



And this was Ystyn's pose for the day - Triple J Hottest 100 (on EVERY single stereo in the house, so as he walked from room to room he wouldn't miss anything!) and watching the cricket! I think he had a great day! :)



I love being Australian. I love living in Australia. I love our free country and all the blessings that come from living here. I sometimes stop in amazement at how good we get it - sure, Centrelink is ANNOYING but they give us a little bit of money just for having kids - we would have the kids without the extra money, but its a nice little booster to the weekly budget. I love how there is a public health system that to me seems almost as good as the private (is that blasphemous to even suggest that????) - seriously, we've had all 3 of our kids through the public system, and apart from a pushy mid-wife the first time around we've been supremely blessed with our doctors and nurses and such. I'm definitley not the most educated in the ways of government and parliment and all of that sort of stuff but I still love living here and think that we have it pretty good. I love the land - driving down the east coast on the way to Sydney are some of my fondest memories of growing up. Passing through the Central Coast - just gorgeous! Not to mention our beaches and National Parks and wildlife...

 Ok - so I DID just think of something I HATE about Australia! THE BUGS!!!!!!! I HATE BUGS - with a passion!!! I am one of the squealy type who will leap 5 meters in the air and scream like a banshee if anything so much as flies near me. I HATE that there are dangerous snakes in our bushes and grasses - could be in my backyard - and I have awful fears of my loud, noisy, YOUNG kids stumbling across one. I HATE spiders - could anything be more terrifying in looks! I know you're not meant to judge on looks alone, but COME ON!!!! They are DISGUSTING!!! And what about the supersize cockroaches that are the bane of my existence. I definitley have some radar that says 'fly at me, fly at me'!!! Ystyn is witness to a number of MASSIVE speciments that have literally zeroed in on me and flown at me - he watched one in our apartment as a newly married couple  - it was sitting on the bathroom door, and when I saw it I ran and jumped on my bed, throwing the covers up to protect me, only to have it fly down the corrider, around the corner and then land on top of the sheets that were the only protection between me and it! I could have died!!!! Or what about the SUPERSIZE moth that STALKED me for about a month during my last year at high school. I would walk into my bedroom at nightime, ready to go to bed, and there it would be sitting, on the pelmet of my blinds, staring at me while I got into bed. Of course I didn't get into bed with it still there - dad was called to come and remove it (I would NEVER touch a bug/moth/insect/reptile/whatever willingly!). I would go to sleep thinking I was safe only to wake up early the next morning to get ready for seminary - the house was quiet, I was the only one up - I walk into the bathroom, get undressed and step into the shower and THERE IT WAS - IN THE SHOWER - STARING AT ME!!!!!!!!!! I swear - this went on for a month!!! My younger sister can bear witness to the fact - and obvioulsy I am still scarred to this day! I HATE BUGS! So imagine my horror that my children are now beginning a collection of Rhino beetles, which, even though they are dead, still have little suckers that they delight in putting on me just to see my reaction. Thanks to someone who shall remain nameless (:)) my precious little angels have at least one each as well as a few cicada shells, which also have little suckers. They're not quite so bad though, seeing as they are only a skin and all......:)

Sorry to have digressed on such a tangent - I got all heated there for a second - hehehehhe - but inspite of all that nastiness, I still love this country, and feel so proud to call myself Australian. I can't think of a better choice my parents made then bringing us here as a young family. I feel like this is home and always will be and I love it with all my heart.

Happy belated Australia Day everyone!!! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting us share with you, xxx